Sabine's Reviews > The Well of Shades

Jan 24, 08

Recommended to Sabine by: Picked because of author
Recommended for: Anyone who likes Historical Fantasy 18+
Read in January, 2008

I read the first two in the series in December adn loved them. This one I would say is my favorite. The main character Faolan, is complex, likeable, and enduring. The only thing that was hard was that I loved his story so much and the book tells more than one story at a time, all of which interconnect, that I found myself bugged when it left him to talk about someone else. The other characters are worthwhile thoug, especially if you have read the first two. Marillier is a master story teller that combines fantasy and history in such an intriguing way that you get lost in what is real and what is not. The books take place in Scottland, and she has done her historical homework. The story tells of Faolan, the king's bodyguard/assain. In the beginning he travels to his homeland of Ireland for 3 purposes. To set right his own past, to relate the news of the death of a friend (this happens in book 2) to his family, and to do some spying for King Bridei. His life becomes entangled with that of a young girl and her daughter who he rescues, only to have her end up rescuing him in more ways than one. It is fun and imaginative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Shades.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandy *Ahviel* I completley agree with you. Out of this series this was my favorite book. I still read it from time to time, becuase of Faolon. It is a breath taking story that I find myself needed to read again.

Sabine Brandy wrote: "I completley agree with you. Out of this series this was my favorite book. I still read it from time to time, becuase of Faolon. It is a breath taking story that I find myself needed to read ag..."

It is a great story. She is such a great writer. I just finished reading Foxmask again. If you have not read that series I would recommend it. They take a little longer to get into, but it is worth it.

Adria this is my favorite of the Bridei Chronicles. I am so glad the Faolan finally found some happiness in this one after failing to in The Blade of Fortriu.