Heather's Reviews > You Are Not Here

Jan 24, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, ya
Read from December 06 to 08, 2010

I love verse style writing, it conveys thoughts and feelings very well, imo, especially grief. But no matter how hard I tired, I couldn’t stir up any emotions for this one.

You Are Not Here tells the story of Annaleah, a teenage girl who has just lost her quasi-boyfriend, Brian. At the age of 17, his un-knowingly defected heart gave out on him. Now Annaleah is trapped in grief and has no one to share her pain with. No one who knew Brian even knows she exists.

While I was certainly touched by this book, it wasn’t due to Annaleah’s loss of Brian. I could hardly feel sadness at losing such a worm. Rather, my heart broke for Annaleah’s longing for someone who clearly didn’t love or respect her. Here we have a girl who feels as though she has lost the love of her life, when in all actuality; a breakup between these two individuals was a long time coming. Brian was just a guy, one of many who will undoubtedly break her heart. We see Annaleah frustrated by the fact that she will never receive answers from Brian regarding his true feelings for her. And we see her mourn him, when I’m certain he wouldn’t have done the same for her. I wanted to shake her and tell her that even had Brian lived, those answers would have been held beyond her grasp. He is one of those boys who owe nothing to anyone but himself, move on!

Overall, this story better serves as a cautionary tale about giving your heart and body away to someone un-worthy of it as opposed to a tale about loosing the love of your life. Nonetheless, it’s a good quick read that will give young readers food for thought.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not Here.

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 09, 2010 06:37AM) (new)

Tatiana This sort of story seems to be very popular this days. And everyone is a poet.

Heather Ha, no kidding. This verse style seemed more like cheating, imo.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am starting to think more and more that it is like cheating. Just break down sentences and sell it as a novel in verse.

message 4: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca I'm starting to think more and more,
that what we are doing unformed,
is cheating our readers and versing the novel
in hopes of selling more and more!

Heather You are correct,
In writers attempt to resurrect,
verse style writing as a way,
to make us readers pay,
top dollar for their work of art,
even though its as original as a fart.

message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana LOL, you both, ladies, should start writing novels in verse:)

message 7: by Scribble (last edited Dec 09, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Scribble Orca I am now on the floor