Jennifer's Reviews > Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter

Dec 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read in December, 2010

I really, really wanted to love this book. Truly I did. And it's not really deserving of just two stars, but the more I thought about it the more problems I had with it. I couldn't give it three stars.

As a heroine, I liked Leelee. Her surrounding cast of characters were fine, too. But no one was fully realized. You want stock southern belles? You got 'em. You want rude, taciturn yankees? You got them, too. End of character development.

The plot was okay, but there were a lot of holes for me. One minute money is scarce and the future of the inn is in doubt, the next minute the heroine has no problem spending $350 to bury her dead dog in the middle of a Vermont winter. The plucky single mother soap box was truly irritating. Leelee never has a babysitter cancel five minutes before the dinner rush. The children are always playing happily in another room. She always seems to get enough sleep, even though she's doing the job of two parents. Everything seems to work out perfectly for her.

Another problem for me is the inn itself. It's supposedly a popular B&B with a four star restaurant, but the smell of mildew, cigarette smoke and body odor is enough to make Leelee almost lose her lunch, not to mention the dust and grime that supposedly covers the place. How is this inn popular again? And I won't even get into the whole husband plotline because it just frustrated me so much.

I won't lie, the resolution was poorly thought out. I just didn't buy it- the way the situation with the inn was resolved, the situation with Peter, etc. I started rolling my eyes with about 20 pages to go, and I just decided to grit it out.

Finally, this author managed to hit one of my main writing pet peeves OVER and OVER again. When a character is from a foreign country and/or we are told they have an accent, it is NOT NECESSARY to write out that accent phonetically. The reader most likely *knows* what a German accent sounds like. Give them some credit and let them use their imaginations! There is no reason to write "Vat ees dis?" as opposed to "What is this?" This happened over and over in the book with all sorts of accents- German, French, Southern, New Jersey, Yankee. Truly, it's like nails on a blackboard for me.

At the end of the day I wanted charming, and instead I got boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter.

02/07/2016 marked as: read

Heidi I could have written this exact review. Thanks for doing it for me. I might add, I almost stopped reading when she wrote bus (clear) the tables. Like we wouldn't know or couldn't figure out what that meant. What an insult to the reader!

Jennifer Ha! I'm glad I could help you out. ;)