Marla Glenn's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is the best twin fiction I've ever read, which means it usurps "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. I wish it weren't so long because I doubt I can get my mom and her identical twin to read such an epic saga.

It’s about identical twins who grow up around a rural hospital in Ethiopia, learning to become surgeons like their parents.
One of the things that impressed me so much was learning what surgery could do for impoverished people who had conditions/afflictions routinely that would rarely occur in modern western society. The author is a doctor so the medical descriptions are thorough and accurate.

It’s also a good novel with lots of plot twists. The twins are completely in sync with one another, so if you have any identical twins in your life, it’s worth it just from that standpoint

I will admit that it could have been edited more tightly, but he's such a talented writer that I didn't mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cynthia Glad to see you enjoyed this one Marla. It sounds great.

Marla Glenn Cynthia wrote: "Glad to see you enjoyed this one Marla. It sounds great."

Yes, John might like it, too. I just wrote my review -- was delayed by a blizzard.

Cynthia Another blizzard? Has Anna gone back to Goucher? Madeline leaves tomorrow, starts classes Wednesday.

Marla Glenn Yes, another stupid blizzard; I officially hate winter! Anna leaves next Saturday - classes start that Tuesday, the 25th? Then we have the memorial service for my former mother-in-law in early Feb. I'll go to Goucher for Anna's play in April, and she leaves for acting in Marseille program in May. She's thinking about semester in Paris next fall rather than next spring. When does Madeline go abroad for school? Anna loves Peace Studies program at Goucher.

Cynthia Marla, sorry to hear about Vance's mom. When did she pass? No, M. did not study abroad in college, though she took 3 trips in high school: living with a French family, Western Civ trip to Europe and 3 weeks in Uganda on a building project.

M. is doing a children's play (folk tales) in Feb. so John and I will attend. It's so much fun to see and audience full of little kids--they like to call out to the actors and tell them "look Out! It's the witch!"