Susan's Reviews > Home in Time for Christmas

Home in Time for Christmas by Heather Graham

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: time-travel

I don't know if I am going through some sort of reading slump, but it seems lately I've been able to finds things to pick apart in the recent books I've read. This being no exception in that while the story sounded really interesting, the author didn't do it justice.

First, while she initially tried to have the 18th century gentleman speak proper English as he probably would have, it seemed like she gave up half way through the book. Then, throughout it all, the modern day heroine kept saying to him that things weren't as wonderful as they seemed. OK, I got it the first few times, didn't need repetitious dialogue. And speaking of dialogue, it felt like most of it was just filler, had nothing to do with the story. Then, back in the 18th century, the characters went into the kitchen. Now, I could be wrong, but I didn't think kitchens were separate rooms back then - didn't the woman do all the cooking over a huge fireplace in the keeping room?? And finally, an editor should have picked up on the fact that while the priest gave a ROSE to the modern day gentlemen, a few chapters later, it turned into ROSES.

All in all though I finished this book, I kept checking to see how many more pages I had left. Mildly enjoyable but now know that had I never read it, I wouldn't have missed anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home in Time for Christmas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Dec 10, 2010 09:25PM) (new)

Hannah Susan,
I hate reading slumps. When it happens to me, I try and pick up a book I've already read (and liked) just to get out of the mire.

Good luck with your next selection :)