Christine's Reviews > Rules of Surrender

Rules of Surrender by Christina Dodd

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: abandoned, romance

I gave this 2 stars because as usual, Christina Dodd is a wonderful writer. In fact, that's the only reason I picked up this book -- I've never yet enjoyed an Arabian/Regency. They often involve kidnap, coersion, and rape, none of which I like. I do like strong men who go after and conquer their women, but the conquest has to be an emotional one, not a physical one. I actually thought this might end up being an emotional conquest in the end, but let's not mince words -- he rapes her and then he tells her that she was a willing participant. That's when I stopped readnig. No means no. It particularly means no when it's backed up by a locked door you had to shoot your way through, a dress you had to cut off with a knife, and a pretty violent fight. I'm not sure in what screwed up world that wasn't rape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Surrender.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia Eeep. I don't want someone to conquer me. It would scare me.
Maybe mutual conquering? *thinks of that dude*

Christine Yes, ultimately an emotional conquest needs to be mutual. I don't see how a physical conquest ever can be. It's pretty wrong. I'm surprised how often I run into this sort of thing in romance. To be honest, this one took me by surprpise because I thought this author was safe.

message 3: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia They ALWAYS do that @$#@% in a lot of romances. Even Laurell K Hamilton did it.
It's NOT COOL! NOT COOL!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Its called bodice-ripper world ;) Where no means yes...and screaming translates as an excited giggle :/