Siobian's Reviews > When Autumn Leaves

1362023
Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: magical-realism, library, read-in-2011
Read on January 06, 2011

Autumn lives in a quaint, seaside town called Avening, which is known for its magic. The local drugstore stocks cures for a broken heart and the shoemaker knows your exact size without looking and can tell which shoes will change your life, literally. The residents of Avening have become accustomed to seeing the strange and unthinkable. Autumn has been the spiritual leader of the town for many years, but it is now time to move on. Before she leaves, she must choose her replacement from the many magical women who call Avening home.
When Autumn Leaves was a good mixture of magical realism and fantasy that made me wish that Avening were a real place. Although the story jumps from character to character, it did so seamlessly and I never felt confused about which person I was supposed to be reading about; the character development was well done for such a short book. I really enjoyed reading about all of the residents and the magic that they each possessed and loved reading about the town. In truth, I wish the book were longer. There were times that I felt the writing could have used a bit of work, and the scene with Callum and Sylvie was a bit awkward to me, but overall, it was a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Autumn Leaves.