Jennifer Lane's Reviews > Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Dec 06, 2010

it was ok
Read in January, 2006

The Broadway show was FAR superior to this weird, dark story. I did like getting to see how Elphaba became a "wicked witch", and it was fun to see Glenda painted in a less-than-glowing light, but other than that this book was difficult to get through and rather disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.

03/20/2016 marked as: read

Steven Yeah, I can't remember what my review for this one was but as much as I liked the premise of the story the author did drag parts out from time to time and it made it a long and hard read. It was odd cause it had parts in it I enjoyed and got into but then there were lulls in it that left me sleepy and bored.
I would like to see another author take a crack at a new twist to the Wizard of Oz story though.

Jennifer Lane Good point--the Wizard of Oz story has so many possibilities. Looking at the story through the witch's eyes was pretty damn clever, though. That's why I was disappointed in the book. The idea had such potential.

Steven Yeah, I kinda felt like he wasn't sure what age audience he was trying to write for. Some parts seemed a bit over my head and others I was like oo very cool. I think Neil Gaiman should do a twist on the tale actually. That guy is quite clever and is extremely visual with his work.

Lisa I liked it but it was a bit confusing at times who he was writing for. Some parts were a bit juvenile and other parts were very dark and very adult. It seemed like he wasn't sure who his demographic was.

Jennifer Lane Good point, Lisa. I think Steven agrees with you in his comment above.