Cynthia's Reviews > Writing Creative Nonfiction

Writing Creative Nonfiction by Carolyn Forché

Dec 11, 2010

bookshelves: books-read-in-2010
Read in December, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Creative Nonfiction.

12/05/2010 page 190

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Hi Cynthia

Sounds interesting. How's your writing going at the moment?

regards

Richard

Cynthia Strangely as I'm reading this book I've had some light bulb moments on things I've been stuck on for quite awhile. Didn't know where to go and suddenly it's just there! Have you expereicned that?

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Definitely. I've had problems with my writing and then read as little as a line, and for some reason that's made all the difference. Just a little bit of inspiration, and it can come from anywhere.

Cynthia These two stories have sat for about a year. I thought they were dead. That's why I was shocked when the aha happened. And the essays I was reading had no relation to my stories. Oh well. I'll just accept the gift from the ethers.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "These two stories have sat for about a year. I thought they were dead. That's why I was shocked when the aha happened. And the essays I was reading had no relation to my stories. Oh well. I'll..."

Isn't that encouraging!?! That is happening to me right now with a story I had put in my 'done-with' pile years ago.

It's so true that you should not throw anything away, even if you 'only' plunder a line from it for another story.I remember Dorothy Alison telling me that. ;)

Cynthia I'm so envious you met her. 'Bastard' was astounding. I guess we never know where inspiration will come from. The weirdest thing is that out of all the drivel I've written these two almost stories kept haunting me.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "The weirdest thing is that out of all the drivel I've written these two almost stories kept haunting me. "

That's a sign right there. I hope you'll keep plugging away at those two -- I want to read them one day!

Cynthia Thanks T and Richard. I appreciate your input.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Cynthia, I did not know that you are writing, although I'm not surprised after reading your wonderful reviews. I can't tell you how many stories I have tried to write through the years. The trouble is that I am never satisfied with my results, or I can' t seem to develop good ideas. Good luck on your efforts! :)

Cynthia Barbara,

I've had the same results as you :(. Sometimes I just can't help but write no matter how much drivel I put out.

c

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Barbara,

c"

Good will always come out of writing, no matter if you're the only one who ever sees it.

Cynthia Stop it T. You know you're a real writer. And Richard too.

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Stop it T. You know you're a real writer. And Richard too."

Maybe. But I know I still have a lot to learn and work on.

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Blimey, not sure about that. lol Thanks though. It's like Teresa says, there's always lots to learn. You're never quite there.

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Richard wrote: "Blimey, not sure about that. lol Thanks though. It's like Teresa says, there's always lots to learn. You're never quite there."

Never. I agree, Richard. And I think the best writers may continue to feel that way, no matter what they've achieved.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Richard and Teresa, I agree wholeheartedly. When you think you know everything and that you are perfect, you are in trouble !

message 17: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele I've enjoyed this discussion! Since I am in the wannabe writer category and I have this book in my TBR pile, you've motivated me to get the darned thing read and start writing more regularly!

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria Remember what Alexander Pope said? No matter how good you think it is, lock it away for 9 years. THEN take it out and see.

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria I don't think he meant non-fiction.

message 20: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Geez... I really need to start reading this book. I need something to kick me in the butt.