Brian's Reviews > Parable of the Sower

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

M_50x66
Dec 05, 10

I'd forgotten what I like about good sci fi (although this would be considered "soft" sci fi, still it fits because...): the writing style and the storytelling in good sci fi usually tends to be solid but also relatively straightforward compared to more literary stuff, which allows for a "page turner" kind of reading experience, but the ideas about human-ness and society in the best of sci fi can at least give high literature a run for its money. And they dispense with much of the pretense that sometimes comes with literary fiction. (Generally and relatively speaking)

Also, it's nice to read books that explore the issues I think need to be explored in fiction or meaningful storytelling in general these days: the future of the human-environment relationship and its interconnections with race, religion, community, government, economics, etc.

The ideas aren't really remarkable for their depth---there's not that much depth---as for the number of ideas and the way they are positioned relative to each other (I realize that this last part will not make sense to 98% of the population. Sorry. This is how I think.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parable of the Sower.