Heather's Reviews > Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman

Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman by Lorraine Heath

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: historicalromance
Read from December 08 to 20, 2010

What’s not to love about Stephen and Mercy? Stephen is a shadow of his former self, locked in the memories that he’s lost about the past two years of his life at war. Constantly reminded of the selflessness shown on the battlefront, all he can remember is who he used to be, and he doesn’t like it. That is, until Mercy shows up at his door with his baby. Mercy expects that Stephen will tell the truth about the baby and their real connection, only to discover that Stephen doesn’t remember. Mercy’s in love with Stephen; seeing his compassion, strength, and fierce loyalty at hospital she wishes that she could be as good as he believes her to be. She reveals pieces of his life, and he’s continually frustrated that he can’t remember his time with her, or the strength that he showed then. To be honored with a knighthood for something he can’t remember accomplishing is a large burden to shoulder. I loved these characters, neither perfect, a little bit ragged. They have both lost something, her innocence, his memory, and find a peace sadly lacking in their lives without each other. Mercy’s hiding a big secret though, one that could destroy the happy life they’re building together. Mercy loves this baby, and will do ANYTHING to see that the child gets the happy life it deserves. At the same time, there is the continuing story of the Stephen’s mother, the Duchess, and her two loves, Leo and the Earl. While I won’t say much in terms of where their story is heading, I have a lot of respect for the Duchess and Leo; she can’t change what she’s done before, but she won’t let it detract from the happiness she can have in the present and in the future. Leo loves her, flaws and all, and is willing to be patient and show her that he’s not fickle, and that regardless of age he’ll continue to love her through the good and the bad. I can’t wait for Ainsley’s story.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman.

12/08/2010 page 172
45.0% "So far so good, but I'm not sure it can live up to the first book."
12/15/2010 page 287
75.0% "Not quite as good as the first, but so much fun."