Pam's Reviews > Every Last Cuckoo

Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy

Dec 07, 2010

liked it
Read from December 05 to 07, 2010

i had a love/hate going the entire time i read this book. it was totally character-driven, very little plot. in the midst of serving both sets of aging parents & as that is a chief topic of conversation between me & lots of my friends, it felt like a good reminder that age doesn't mean without value or less than human or lacking in joy, dreams, questions, uncertainty, & on & on. i cried some. there was also a character who reminded me of that movie that disturbed me so much & pops into my thinking all the time, the kingdom. where at the beginning the american said, we will kill every one of them resposible for this (death of one of their colleagues). then at the end the arab grandfather said the same thing to his grandson. the guy in the book very poignantly described a similar aha moment in his life, when in the israeli army, he spared the life of a young palestinian. and turns out the grandmother in the book is a peace maker who touches so many lives, just living her life. didn't agree w/the spiritual life in the book, creepy sex references. but it really stirred my thinking on some deep subjects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last Cuckoo.