Siobhan's Reviews > The White Queen

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Dec 05, 10

Read in July, 2010

I read this as a break whilst on holiday to the urban fantasy escapism that I prefer, not being a historian in any way shape or form I appreciated that it was educational, in a clearly ficticious interpretation of the life of Elizabeth Woodville a commoner who married Edward IV.

It was a very interesting read, I really became aware of the nature of life at court, the politics, duplicity, treachery and yes love. I particuarly enjoyed the spin that the author gave Elizabeth's character and her mother and daughters. They believed themselves descended of a water goddess Melusina, placed curses and conjured magic to revenge or protect their families, which gave a foundation to the thoughts that she was a witch. Whether any of this was ever suggested historically I can't say... I can however say that it was an excellent read. I will seek out the next book soon.

It sparked an interest which meant I immediately went onto wikipeadia to reasearch the succession of the throne and found all sorts of interesting facts. This is what historical fiction is about!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Queen.