Rose A.'s Reviews > House Divided

Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: suspense-thriller
Read from December 05, 2010 to January 23, 2011

I loved this book!

Mano Suarez, a former decorated U.S. Army veteran turned insurgent, and his family live in a Los Angeles barrio scarred by many years of ethnic war. His focus is to keep his family together and survive. His wife, Rosa, is deeply religious and opposes the fighting. His son, Pedro, is a teenager trying to find himself; in the process, Pedro joins an extremist group that attacks innocent civilians. This does not set well with his father, who must battle both a fractured country dominated by demagogues and the terrorists in his own ranks—without betraying his son or losing his wife.

As a woman, I especially liked Rosa’s relationship with Celia, a local curandera (faith healer); but I don’t want to spoil this engaging novel for you by giving away the good parts. Just put this one on your “must read” list. One scene was written so well, it had me multi-tasking - dodging bullets, while smelling and craving cake.

Raul recently received the “Latino Literacy Books Into Movies Award” for the trilogy "America Libre." I don’t know who will be cast as the main character, but I know that I already have a crush on Manolo “Mano” Suarez.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Divided.