Cara's Reviews > Cloaked

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

May 29, 14

bookshelves: 2011, fairy-tales, male-protagonist, fantasy
Read from April 19 to 26, 2011

Before anything I have to mention that for some reason I assumed that this was a re-telling of Red Riding Hood , and for those of you (probably not too many because I'm exceptionally dim sometimes) who thought it was as well I'm here to tell you it isn't. There is a cloak in the story, but no oblivious girls or furry looking grandmothers in sight.

This story follows the life of Johnny, a seventeen-year-old who aspires to be a shoe designer, but what he does is help out with his family's business. They repair shoes in South Beach, Florida. It's just him and his mom, and his dad has been missing for years. Unfortunately they have a hard time making ends meet, but with some luck or fate you could say, a princess comes to town that will seem to have the key (or more like money) to make all those problems go away. The princess claims that her brother has been turned into a frog and she thinks Johnny is the right person to find him and bring him back. What ensues is a whirlwind adventure, and Johnny gets a lot more out of it than he had anticipated.

I'm a huge fan of fairy tale re-tellings and though I did enjoy this I gotta say it was a bit of an overload. The fairy tales used here aren't that commonly known by people (myself included), and it felt too stuffed. Too many events happening and too many storylines for one story. I felt like we were jumping from crisis to crisis ALL the time. But then again that was probably what the author was trying to achieve; the feeling that our character was almost literally flying by the seat of his pants. All that aside I did appreciate the magical elements, and how they were interwoven in the storyline. I'm getting too clever for my own good though (probably not true but...) because I could see the "twists" coming most of the time, but fairytales are often that way. Meghan, who is Johnny's best friend, is a great character and I loved the relationship between them.

What made this story good, even though it felt hurried, was Johnny. He tries hard to help his mom, and he has a vision of how things should be. But at the same time he has his faults. He's convinced the money will fix everything and he'll do almost anything so he and his mom can have a better life. How can you not like a character like that?

Now for what has been irking me since I read this book: Does anyone know why there is a red flower on the cover? I do not remember a red flower being mentioned, or somebody saying something about a red flower. I'm baffled, stumped, and it's really nagging at me. I feel like I missed something, so if anyone can inform me I would greatly appreciate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloaked.

04/23/2011 page 50

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Celeste Cloaked is a decent read. Not my fav, but a decent read. Tell me what you think about it when you're done.

Cara I really did like it, but I think a liked Beastly just a tad more.

Kwesi 章英狮 I might watch Beastly later, I can't wait and it seems that your review reminds me of reading some of re-telling books. Have you tried Maguire?

Cara Nope I haven't I should looked into that. I want to watch the movie too;) I try read the books before the movie. Hopefully the movie is as good as the book.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Maybe the flower is following the theme from Beastly.

Krystle The flower was mentioned in the book. They talked about hibiscus and the most common color for it is the red variety. =).

Cara Thanks so much Krystle! You can't believe how much that was bothering me;)

message 8: by Anna Leigh (new)

Anna Leigh Cooney Dont worry i thought the book was about Red Riding Hood too. :):):):)

Cara Ha! I'm glad I wasn't the only I'm so sorry for responding so late but for some reason I didn't a notification for it... hmmm Anyhow thanks for the comment Anna:D

Sarah IMO I think it was kind of a trend in all of Flinn's "retelling" books. Beastly, A Kiss In Time and this one all have a flower on the cover. :D

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Yeah that makes sense too. I guess I'm such a stickler for covers. Thanks for the input Sarah:)

message 12: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Hey, I just read you're post and I do admit, trivial things on covers that don't relate to the book bother me too. I haven't read the book (yet) but I thought you might like to know that most illistraters have never even read the book(s), they just get informed of the main idea.

*Lissa

- oh, and by the way, I thought it was about red riding hood too.

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara I have heard that before. I think that maybe they should but I understand that time retraints are probably a problem.
Thanks for the comment Lissa and hope you end up enjoying the book;)

Jasmyn I thought the same thing !!!

message 15: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Ha that makes me feel better that I am no the only one this happened to:)