Erika's Reviews > 13 to Life

13 to Life by Shannon Delany

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, young-adult
Read in December, 2010

It's kind of funny to call this book dissapointing when I had no expectactations getting into it. I only picked it up as something extra to read in case I needed something between other reads (and then because I couldn't find my kindle charger adapter for a few days). But it was dissapointing. It does everything I dislike about plot and only a few things right. And it seemed...cheesy. I think the only reason I read all the way through as fast as I did was that I kept waiting for something to happen. Almost the entire book was this girl, Jessie, trying to figure out if she liked this boy, Pietr. We know he is a werewolf - that's blatantly obvious from the beginning (even though it seems the author is trying to make this a mystery and just forshadowing...it's just too obvious to be all that interesting) but Delany doesn't do anything with that until the very end of the book. Instead she focuses way too much on whiney teenage angsty friendships. Given the last 20 pages of the book I wonder why. There is so much the author could have done plotwise with what was revealed here. Was it supposed to be a surprise and she left everything out on purpose or was this whole book just written on the fly and Delany only thought of somewhere interesting to go with all of this as her word count ran out? It's really hard to tell. I'm not sure if I'd read the next book in the series. Given this is the first book it's always possible the story will get better. But then it's always possible the author will fall into the same bad habits again. I'll have to wait and see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 to Life.

12/05/2010 page 199
65.0% "Because I misplaced my Kindle charger at the moment :/ Um...so this is kind of dissapointing so far. I keep hoping it will pick up. See the page #? Not even any paranormal stuff yet :/"