Zach Vaughn's Reviews > The Audacity to Win: The Inside Story and Lessons of Barack Obama's Historic Victory

The Audacity to Win by David Plouffe

Dec 19, 10

bookshelves: politics, non-fiction
Read in February, 2010

Anyone interested in getting into campaign work should read this book. It's not just the practical lessons of campaigning, but the reality of campaign life as well, such as leaving behind your family and basically putting your life on hold. As someone who has experienced living in a different town every six months, working for little pay, and missing my wife, I can testify to the enormous personal strain a campaign can place on a person. As David Plouffe says in his opening chapter, "I knew exactly what managing was - pain in the ass" (p. 15). There can be no illusions about the amount of dedication it takes to work on, and especially manage, a campaign; however, if you find someone you believe in, it makes things much easier to abide.

Overall, a highly readable and enjoyable book about the 2008 campaign from the perspective of one of the people involved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Audacity to Win.