Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > The Game

The Game by Monica Hughes

Dec 05, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-would-teach, books-to-teach, scifi, fantasy, future, utopia, dystopia
Read in December, 2010

Very interesting book and a fast read. It is on the novel list for my school, but I ignored it last year because the title - which previously had been "Invitation to the Game" - sounded like it would be a sports novel. As such, I didn't bother looking into it. This year, when I needed something new to teach for reluctant readers, I was surprised to find that the book was actually a futuristic scifi novel. The new cover and title are great and really draw readers in. Unfortunately, my school has horrible copies that are literally falling apart and taped together, so the students don't want to read them just based on their looks.

I thought the idea behind the story was great and very plausible, especially in todays economy with the unemployment rate rising. The Game itself is interesting, and the ending, while mildly surprising, was well done. I enjoyed it and would like to read a sequel with Lisse and the others to see what happens on Prize.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.

Colleen The school copies are horrid but its a good book.

Jennifer Lavoie Colleen wrote: "The school copies are horrid but its a good book."

Sadly they are, and I think that will take away from other students wanting to read the book. Maybe I'll suggest we update to the new copies. The cover - while it didn't really have much to do with the book - looked much more enticing. And modern.

Colleen Yeah the cover on the old copies didn't have anything to do with the book. There was never any glasses in the book, only a couch. With the new title and cover the book looks like something people actually want to read.