Karen's Reviews > Love in a Headscarf

Love in a Headscarf by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

Dec 05, 10

My motivation to read “Love in a Headscarf” was pure curiosity. I tend to judge people as individuals rather than as part of a group and really had no prior knowledge of Islam before 9/11. Since that terrible day a lot of (mostly negative) statements have been made about Muslim belief and it seemed appropriate to listen to the voice of someone who actually lives that life.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author’s sense of humor in finding a husband created a story that entertained while also educating me about the role of women in Muslim culture. I was hoping she would address the events of 9/11 and she did….

“I wondered what drove someone to the point where they were willing to end their own life and create destruction around them. What kind of macabre aspiration was that? Was it pure hatred? Was it an evil mind that had got hold of the means to carry out a bloodthirsty act? I couldn’t help but think those who committed the acts of September 11 fell into this category, although none of us would ever know the truth.”

In my opinion, organized religion is at its best a code of ethics. Despite the fact that the author was raised as a British Muslim and I am an American Jew, I feel that we belong to the same sisterhood.

This book was helpful to me and I hope it is widely read as rationality needs to overcome fear and distrust and I think people need to focus on what they have in common, not on how they are different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Headscarf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com) Great review. :)

Karen Thanks.

Deega nice review

message 4: by Rashalyn (new) - added it

Rashalyn such an amazing review :)