Lisalit's Reviews > Saving Max

Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten

Dec 05, 10

Read in December, 2010

I picked this up while browsing at Borders and couldn't put it down. A psychological thriller that deals with parenting special needs children, this book was riveting in spite of some minor flaws. Danielle is a single parent to 15 year old Max, who has Asperger's Syndrome. A brilliant computer whiz, Max's problems have intensified with adolescence, to the point that Danielle is forced to admit him to a psychiatric hospital for psychological testing. While there his condition worsens considerably, and he is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Disturbed by this sudden change, Danielle is retrieving Max for a second opinion--against the hospital's orders--when she finds him unconscious in another child's room next to the child's dead and bloodied body, clutching a bloodied metal comb. The rest of the book focuses on Danielle's investigation as she desperately tried to prove her son's innocence, while fighting her own doubts that he could be capable of such a crime.

Some of the events are rather unbelievable, and I figured out what was going on relatively quickly, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. The characters are believable and lovable, the story suspenseful and quick. I recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Max.