Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

May 23, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, addicting-as-crack, young-adult, sci-fi, romance
Read from April 28 to 30, 2011

Well, I am ever so sorry it took me almost a month to review this. The last couple of weeks of school have been insane (end of the year madness and all) and I've been putting off loads of book reviews. Anyway. Gah.

Enough about me. Let us turn our attention to Lauren Oliver's wonderful book, Delirium.

I don't know where to begin! I really liked this book. Dystopian fiction is hot hot hot nowadays, and it seems like every time I turn around I see a new dystopian book. Am I getting sick of it? Oh, yes. YA books and their dang trends. So, I was somewhat reluctant to read this book, not only because of it was dystopian but because it sounded too cheesy for me.

The plot in a nutshell: Lena is a teenage girl living in a society where love is considered a disease. Therefore, everyone is stripped of their emotions via brain operation once they turn 18. Lena is of course approaching the magical age, and of course it's right before she's supposed to get the operation that she falls in love.

Sorta reminded me of Uglies (which I love!), and has a similar plot line: everyone is supposed to get an operation that takes away their emotions, main character has best friend who questions the operation, main character falls in love with rebellious boy who also questions the operation ...

However, Lauren Oliver puts an original spin on a somewhat predictable plot. Lena and Alex (aka male-love-interest) are likable characters who share a compelling romance. However, I think my favorite character was Hana, Lena's sweet but rebellious best friend who questions their society's boundaries––especially when it comes to what music they're allowed to listen to. (That would totally be me.)

However, what stuck with me most was Oliver's writing style and imagery. There are three scenes in particular that struck me, although they're all spoilers––so you know, if you haven't read it, don't click on the spoiler. Just trust me that there is some very powerful stuff in this book.

(view spoiler)

Well, I guess that's all I have to say on the matter. Even if you're skeptical of the dystopian craze, I highly recommend this book. I'm looking forward to the sequel (aka hoping desperately it doesn't screw up the story for me) and I also hope to read Oliver's other book, Before I Fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Kylie Harvey I really liked this book, I hope you do too.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thanks Kylie! I'm glad to hear you liked it :) I look forward to reading it.

Hannah Parker good book,loved it!!!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yes! I really like it so far. :)

Makenna OMG I loved that book! So glad I bought it!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Loved it too! :D Can't wait to put up my review for it ... but I'm going to review a few other things first. I keep procrastinating. :P

Makenna Haha, I can relate!

Azra can't wait!!!!!!!
i love this book!!!!!!

Seth LOVELY REVIEW.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* THANK YOU, SETH. I WROTE IT JUST FOR YOU!

message 11: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth Of course you did! But . . . I do not believe that you mentioned how lovely the book was ONCE. So . . . you may need to do that. For my sake.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* But I called it wonderful, powerful, gorgeous, amazing, etc. ....

message 13: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth WHERE WAS LOVELY?!?!

message 15: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth Oh.

That's an interesting place to put it, Brigid!

-pull it out and slaps it on Brigid's review-

It's there in spirit.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* O_O

Eew.

I have to go throw up now.

Of course, I brought this upon myself.

message 17: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth YES YOU DID.

Sanny*just another day...* I just finished reading this book like five seconds ago and I totally agree w/ everything u said!!! Spoiler # 2 is very truse (escaping thru love) i never really thought of it that way... GOOD JOB!!! p.s. i give the book five stars too

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha, thanks. Glad you agree. :)

Sabrina Delirium is my favourite book too!!!!

Turkan Great review, my thoughts exactly! And i totally agree with you there about the awesome imagery! :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

message 23: by Gussylove (new) - added it

Gussylove I was thinking of reading Matched but I think I might read this instead, thanks!

message 24: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Evans Have you seen panic by Lauren Oliver?

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I've heard of Panic but I haven't read it yet. :)