Eileen's Reviews > Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York

Queens Consort by Lisa Hilton

2045724
Dec 05, 10

Read in November, 2010

I'm back on the history reading kick and picked this book up at B&N while visiting my son in Connecticut. This is really my kind of book! I loved all 482 pages and would have gladly read more. But don't pick this one up if you are looking for wild interpretation or speculation.

This book is serious history and Ms. Hilton uses lots of primary and secondary sources for her profiles. If you want romantic stories, made up dialog, or other flights of fancy you won't find it here. The author gives us her profiles based on what is found in charters, comtemporary writings,and other official documents that speak about these remarkable women.

I've read some about almost all of these queens and quite a bit about some but I always learn something. With this book I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of it. The most fascinating, to me, are the queens who immediately followed Mathilda of Flanders, William the Conqueror's queen. I've read about her in other works, including her famous statement that she would never marry a bastard, upon hearing of William's suit for her hand. But I knew very little about the next three queens who followed.

Of the next 15 queens profiled, in 10 cases I'd read about them either individually or in context of their husbands but again there is always something to learn and Ms. Hilton didn't disappoint. If you love real history and the early queens of England you will love this book. If you are looking for a romantic story about a prince wooing a beautiful princess - keep looking!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queens Consort.