Berry's Reviews > They Do It with Mirrors

They Do It with Mirrors by Agatha Christie

Dec 05, 10

bookshelves: agatha

Three stars, only because I was taken in completely by the reality Christie creates and was genuinely surprised by the ending. Whether that was because a) I was under Christie's spell or b) flying through the lame insipid prose at such a rate that my focus was unhinged and so I didn't notice Christie directing me to stand over the rug because I didn't care, I don't know.

I wanted to blame this reaction on the book coming from the tail end of Christie's body of work, but this isn't the case. It's only her fifth Miss Marple book. It makes me wonder. I discovered Christie late in life and so the cozy as well as the depictions of prewar English life were new to me. Once I read Hercule Poirot's Christmas and By the Pricking of My Thumb, I'll have read all of her mystery novels (as well as most of her plays and short stories, and even the Osborne books.) This one makes me wonder if the others I thought were great, really were. Anyway, I plan on reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles and Curtain together, and I did just re-read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and this masterpiece of plot still held up, so who's to say. (By the way, I also read The Murder on the Orient Express for the first time recently, and since the plot was given way by a few of the movie adaptations I've seen the book seemed pretty awful. But if I hadn't known...)

In a way, it's unfortunate, because this is the last Marple novel for me. I've read all the others. Instead of going out on a bang, it's been a whimper. Once the movies (which I've watched recently - all versions, really) are out of my mind, I'll revisit my favorite Marples (TMITV, TBITL, TMF, AMIA) and see how they hold up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Do It with Mirrors.