Julie's Reviews > Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure

Zan-Gah by Allan Richard Shickman

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read from December 05 to 18, 2010

Zan is not your typical boy. He lives in a cave with his family and tribe. He hunts with a spear. He sounds pretty scary...especially when a youngster goes missing and neighboring tribes get together to kill the enemy...a huge lioness. Zan is raring to go but everyone says no. Like your typical child, Zan disobeys and goes anyway. Then he kills the lioness all by himself. It's then that he gains the respect of all the tribes in the area, especially his own. A highly respected tribal leader from a neighboring tribe gives him a name of distinction...Zan-Gah.

Zan's twin had been missing for quite some time (part of the reason why no one wanted him to fight the lioness). Zan-Gah now feels empowered to find his brother Dael. Of course, his parents are against this and he finally wins the argument. He will have to travel through many of the neighboring (and warring) tribes to find Dael. Along the way, he learns why the tribes are holding such grudges and almost becomes a victim of them. He has no idea how bad it really is until he meets Rydel and finds the Wasp tribe.

Will he find Dael? Does he survive the interesting Wasp people? Read this fascinating story to find out!

If there is one feature of this book that stands out it would be the vivid use of language and imagery. I felt like I was in the story and could picture the sights sounds, and smells with ease (ok, some smells I could have done without!)

I also have to mention my favorite character. Siraka-Finaka is a minor character but not one to be messed with!! Siraka-Finaka is Chul's wife and she is fill of spunk and spice. Not someone I'd want to battle for sure! I hope she'll show up again in Zan-Gah and the Beautiful Country!

Many thanks to Earthshaker Books for providing this book for review!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zan-Gah.

12/05/2010 page 14

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Earthshakerbooks shickman Hi Julie,
The third book of the Zan-Gah series, Dael and the Painted People, is nearly finished. Watch for it this summer at the new web address:

www.zan-gah.net

I hope you will pay us a visit.

Allan R. Shickman

Julie That sounds great Mr. Shickman! Thanks for stopping by to let me know! I'll keep it on my radar! :)