Kyle's Reviews > Second Foundation

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from December 26 to 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Really enjoyable. Mostly I am left wondering where these books were when I was a kid... Or rather where I was.

Probably the most engaging of the three with all the twists and turns but somewhat less philosophically interesting. I was less excited about the mind-control stuff ... The righting mechanism for Seldon's Plan is pretty creative, but the way they got things back on track was so convoluted compared to the cool inevitability of the original Plan (this person will be Controlled from birth so that they will triple-cross this other person at exactly this time, etc.).

It's tricky business in a story like this where every thought and action becomes suspect -- and to some extent I think it invalidates the emotional attachment to a character to find out that their thoughts aren't their own (bummed me out when he said that Arcadia's precociousness was a result of 2nd Foundation programming). Also the focus on the location of the 2nd Foundation or the identity of the First Speaker was amusing but seemed kind of irrelevant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Foundation.