Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > 100 Christian Books That Changed the Century

100 Christian Books That Changed the Century by William J. Petersen

Jul 08, 08

bookshelves: religion-and-spirituality, currently-reading
Read in July, 2008

I bought this book in September 2006 and read about 2/3 of it, after which it got lost in a pile of other books that needed reading. What I want to do with it is read (or at the very least, browse through) all of the books outlined in this text. Sounds like a long-term project ... I'd better get started so I'm not dead before I finish!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Christian Books That Changed the Century.

10/06/2009 page 25
11/21/2009 page 27
12.05% "The Scfield Reference Bible, which I can borrow from Kinder"
01/05/2010 page 48
21.43% "though I've left a few pages out as I can't access those titles just yet."
01/13/2010 page 42
18.75% "This is about Orthodoxy, by G.K.Chesterton, and he writes delightfully well."
01/17/2010 page 33
14.73% "This is about the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. I have borrowed 1 of the 4 volumes (a later edition that the 1915 original)"
08/25/2010 page 35
16.0% "I thought it was last year since I read any of these, but I see I was still going in January. However, since moving to Napier at the end of Jan, I haven't read a thing. Finally I'm back on track - I've purchased a few of the books and am reading to start ploughing through them again."
11/12/2010 page 44
20.0% "I read another in between my last update and this, so am going along steadily. They give a good introduction to each book in their list."
11/14/2010 page 54
24.0% "This next one might be interesting. It's "Who Moved the Stone" and is a 1930 'investigate journalist' account. In light of "Jesus, the Cold Case" - a modern investigative account, it might be amusing to compare the two, which clearly come from opposite ends of the theological spectrum."
11/30/2010 page 56
25.0% "The author of this next book ("Prayer") is Ole Hallesby, a Norwegian who wrote 67 books, mostly on dogmatic theology and ethics, which he was professor of. This book is not on those lines (one can't imagine any of those becoming best-sellers)."
05/12/2012 page 40
18.0% "I've read The Screwtape Letters last week (after not having read Anything in months and months) and am now rapidly browsing my way through Halley's Pocket Bible Handbook."
11/02/2013 page 72
32.0% "I've been slowly progressing through these books this year, and have just got "The Robe" from the library. It's a novel published in 1942, and set in Rome of the early Christian era. So far (and I've read the first chapter) it's quite good."
03/09/2014 page 82
36.0% "This entry is about A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God - written in 1948 by a conservative American pastor who loved the writings of the mystics and was scathing about 'the frantic activity of modern evangelicals who like to substitute motion for worship'."
show 1 hidden update…