Harini's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: i-own, favorites, redefining-awesomeness, thriller
Read from August 06 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

A fitting finale to a brilliant trilogy.

I never expected to end up liking this series so much, given that I found the first book good but not brilliant. Infact, I wouldn’t have bothered to go ahead with the series if I hadn’t bought the second book along with the first. It’s the second book that made me fan of the series and third book dint disappoint either.

Even though the second book still remains my favorite in the series, the third book was brilliant in its own way. It is different from the second book as it reads more like a legal thriller than action packed thriller like The Girl who played with Fire. But that’s obvious given that our kick ass heroine spends most of her time in hospital and later in prison.

The reason that this series works for me are the characters, especially the strong female characters. They come as a breath of fresh air as most of the time women are portrayed as damsels in distress. The author did a brilliant job with most of his characters in the book and especially Lisbeth Salander. And I also appreciate the message the author is trying to give out with this series.

As much as I liked the book, it isn’t without flaws. My two major complaints from the last book remain. Firstly, the sex in the books sometimes doesn’t go with the flow in the book and just seems forced. Even though I admit the author has toned down a lot from the first two books. Secondly, I really think these books need an editor. They keep dragging in few parts and sometimes you end up losing the interest.

But the major problem I had with this book was the Berger subplot. As intriguing as it was I dint care for it. I wanted the action back on main story and was annoyed most of the time when the action shifted.

All in it’s a very good series if you handle some violence and unrequited sex details and have enough patience to read books that seem unedited.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

08/06/2011 page 6