Bookaholics's Reviews > Afterlight

liked it

Afterlight by Elle Jasper
Urban Fantasy- Nov. 2nd, 2010
3 ½ stars

Afterlight is a new urban fantasy that readers who enjoy an atypical heroine and mystery will enjoy.

Riley is a tattoo artist who has had a rough life. Now she has straightened up and devotes her time to her job and taking care of her brother. But when her brother is in danger, Riley finds herself trying to save him. As she investigates further, she realizes that her brother is running with a dangerous rogue vampire group and is under their influence. Then Riley finds that her blood is powerful and those she has trusted have been drugging her! To add to this insult, she is assigned a handsome vampire guard named Eli who is dogging her every move. Can she save her brother or is it too late?

Riley is brave if foolhardy and stubborn. I liked that she has turned her life around and is now taking responsibility for her actions. She is an original character. The trouble was that I had difficulty warming up to her rather blunt personality. When she has to save her brother, I didn't find myself as interested as I thought I would be. I think this is because her brother is not a likeable person. Not that he wasn't worth saving, but I couldn't get as invested as much as I hoped.

I did feel that the author did a great job giving the book the feel of Savannah and there were a couple of very colorful characters that I would love to read more about. The relationship between Eli and Riley is very intense especially since Eli is assigned to guard Riley but Riley values her independence. So their attraction for each other only complicates matters. The big problem for me is that I wish I had enjoyed the main characters more. They are interesting but not sympathetic to me.

The best part of this story is the intriguing and well written mystery plus the complex cast of characters. But I just found it hard to warm up to the heroine.

Reviewed by Steph from the Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterlight.