PurplyCookie's Reviews > J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter

J.K. Rowling by Marc Shapiro

Dec 10, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: biography-memoir, harry-potter-related, non-fiction, writing-related
Read from December 07 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book has just one thing going for it: it's the first biography for youngsters about the popular author. The only other sources of information are articles in newspapers, magazines, and on the Internet.

Unfortunately, the text reads like a rough draft of a junior-high research paper. Incomplete and fragmented sentences abound as Shapiro rambles on in a confusing manner. Quotations are loosely traced to articles and interviews in their sentences, but are not properly documented. Shapiro writes in absolutes without noting sources; events appear out of nowhere as if they'd been previously mentioned. It's a shame that the book is too inaccurate, unsubstantiated, and poorly written to be suitable for research purposes.

Also, the book must have been in production before the name of Harry Potter Book 4 was changed from the Doomspell Tournament to Goblet of Fire, but the mistake will jump out at readers.

What was unforgivable was that the author was a little confused with some of the details in the books when he stated that owls run banks (when the books clearly say that goblins run Gringotts) he also states a few incorrect names (Shapiro wrote Cho Chan instead of Cho Chang as the name of Harry's first girlfriend).

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

Title J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
Author Marc Shapiro
Reviewed By Purplycookie
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read J.K. Rowling.

12/06 page 45
04/16 marked as: read

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Apparently I also have this book. I like how it gave insight it gave on the life of J.K. Rowling then becuase there was such books about her. If you'll notice in the latter part of the book it's included in there the earlier working title of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Cheers Purplycookie! :)

PurplyCookie Hehe yes, Jzhunagev
Shapiro still has HP & the Doomspell Tournament as the title. It jarred me for a while. But I just can't get over the other inaccuracies. Hopefully they'll be somebody who can write a better bio of Rowling in the near future

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Shelby & jzhunagev! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Dolly! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Samm! :)