Eva Leger's Reviews > Olive, the Other Reindeer

Dec 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: julias-books, seasonal-holiday
Read on December 04, 2010

2.5 - This is pretty cute in a few ways. First, the illustrations really help the story along because Olive is just too darn cute. Second, her hearing "All of the other reindeer", yet really hearing "Olive, the other reindeer" makes the story so much fun to read. We both cracked up when I read that part.
How Santa fixes the whole 'dogs can't fly' thing is just awesome. Everyone's seen illustrations of reindeer flying, it's in all of our brains, but who has ever seen the reindeer flying through the night with a little doggie attached to a darn string hanging underneath them? Too cute!
I'm pretty sure I liked the first time Olive saved the day after the crash but after that the story goes downhill - for me. This was not the case for Julia however.
All of a sudden gumdrops are falling from the sleigh yet there is no reason for this for the next few pages. I was very confused to say the least. The author needed a way for a dog to be able to help with a dogs sense but this was reaching... and reaching faaarrrrr.
I can get with the third save a bit easier but I still feel it could have been done better.
The story ends with Santa needing Olive to guide the sleigh through some fog and with her nose smelling Mrs. Claus' cookies she's very able. She also receives a present of reindeer antlers which was very cute.
I have to admit though, that middle part, with the two saves, really got to me and it took a lot away from the book. I can't help but feel that with a little extra thought those parts could have been a lot better.
Julia liked those parts, I asked her because I needed to know, but at 5 years old I don't expect her attention to detail to be what mine is.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive, the Other Reindeer.

Armadillo But there WAS a reason 4 the next few pages!! Olive might have needed to
prove herself worthy of Santa Claus,or something. The writer wouldn't have written it if it had no purpose! Plus it was a rough terrain. Dogs bark too, they were just making a point of that.