Sarah's Reviews > A Blue So Dark

A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, books-i-own
Read from September 09 to 14, 2011, read count: 2

What do I have to say about A Blue So Dark? The cover design is beautiful; its what made me buy the book to begin with. It matches the story, with the color of the water and detail of the title, perfectly. The title also drew me in. It sounded interesting and, obviously, dark. It is written almost lyrically, and I especially loved Aura's poems.
Now for the story. Aura Ambrose has been caring for her schizophrenic mother ever since her father left them a few years ago. The story begins with her remembering an important event in her life from before her mother was diagnosed. You learn right away that Aura's mother is not normal and that Aura, as the only one caring for her, is hiding it from everyone else. As expressed in the description, both characters are artistic, but while Aura hides it, her mother does the opposite. Her artistic ability causes her to meet Jessie, her crush, in an art class. Near the beginning Jessie and Aura talk, and you realize, even though its hidden, that there is something between them.
Holly Schindler wrote her characters very well. Aura's father was portrayed exactly right. You know from Aura that he just doesn't care enough to to help, and when you meet him, you know its true. And, while I have no experience with mental disorders, her mother seemed to fit the part exactly. Her actions didn't seem over the top or exaggerated, just how you would expect some who hallucinates to act. The only character who bothered me was Aura's best friend, Janny. I understand that she is busy and stressed by her own problems, but she seemed just flat-out rude and inpatient, making her an unlikable character.
A Blue So Dark is pretty unique considering its topic. I think a lot of girls can relate to Aura, minus having a schizophrenic mother. I know I (and my friend who also read the book) did. Its a story that stays with you long after you finish reading it, but I just didn't click with it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blue So Dark.