Savannah Andrea Smith's Reviews > Flipped

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

I just realized I never really reviewed this book. I actually read it back in the 4th grade when my school had a book fair. So I read this back in '04, I think.
Anyways, I kind of forgot about this book after I lent it to my friend and never saw it again. Having it disappear from my book shelves, I didn't remember it...until I found out that they had made it into a movie. Last night, I watched the movie, and it brought back all of those amazing memories from when I was reading it. I remembered why I was so in love with the book. I remembered all of those awkward feelings of my own junior high.
Honestly, this book is amazing. While it does revolve around a younger set of characters than I usually read (I don't typically read "Junior High" books anymore) this book still has me all giddy after all these years. I love the characters and the way they develop throughout the story. I like that you get to see both sides of the story. And I love that I can relate to Juli. Yes, Juli. Awkward, annoying, love-struck Juli--at least, that's the way Bryce sees her. It's who Juli really is, and what her life is like that I can relate to. Back in the 4th grade, I wasn't concerned about reading books with great developed characters. I read books for the "love", or more accurately the school crushes and drama that was all too common in middle school. Now that I'm older, I see the story for more than the love--or lack of. Wendelin Van Draanen depicts an amazing story through Flipped, and it can be enjoyed by all ages. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flipped.