Michèle's Reviews > A Thousand Words for Stranger

A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 2011

This first novel opens with a classic situation, the main character's, a young nameless woman, amnesic. Fortunately, her POV is compensated by other characters that we follow.

I had a lot of difficulties to suspend my disbelief at characters who are not only telepaths, but who can also teleport themselves, or project their mind light-years away for a little chat...

The "of course" section:

1- Of course, there had to be limitations to those awesome powers: the main character is amnesiac, wears a dampening mental shield so she can't use those amazing powers. The reader, progresses along with her.

2- Of course: she is stalked by unknown enemies and must find help! Cue the ruggedgly handsome male character, a Hans Solo type who name her Sira.

3- AND of cooourse, Sira happens to be the most totally gifted powerful member of her species! Cue the arch-enemy who wants to mate with her.

I did enjoy the chase, the story has picked up the pace about half way, and (once the tele-everything premisses are accepted) is getting more entertaining. We see the characteristic voice of Czerneda emerging in witty descriptions of the various E-T encounters.

-------------en francais:

Une bonne aventure, mais des héroines télépathes ne sont plus ma tasse de thé depuis longtemps, i.e. depuis Marion Zimmer Bradley. Et quand en plus cette race peut se téléporter sur de grandes distances, voire même converser à travers des années-lumières...

Ca prend évidemment des limitations pour faire une intrigue, donc: l'héroine est amnésique et porte un "champ neutralisant" pour ne pas se servir de ssspouvoirs. Qu'elle va ré-apprendre à maitriser jusqu'a l'affrontement final, car il va y en avoir un.

Dans l'ensemble, une lecture satisfaisante une fois qu'on passe par-dessus les pouvoirs psy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Words for Stranger.

12/04/2010 page 32
9.0% "A classic beginning, with the main character's amnesic, but her POV is compensated by other characters that we follow."
02/04/2011 page 44
12.0% "Un peu coincée, là. Des héroines télépathes ne sont plus ma tassede thé depuis longtemps..."
02/23/2011 page 141
38.0% "I can't suspend my disbelief at characters who are not only telepaths, but who can also teleport themselves, or project their mind light-years away... Of course: the main character is amnesiac, wears a dampening mental shield so she can't use those amazing powers. The reader, progresses along with her. 2e Of course: she is stalked! by unknown enemies, must find help! Cue the ruggedgly handsome male character..."
02/27/2011 page 218
59.0% "The story has picked up the pace, and (once the premisses accepted) is getting more entertaining. We see the characteristic voice of Czerneda emerging in witty descriptions of the various E-T encounters."
02/28/2011 page 226
61.0% "Still enjoying the chase... in the train from the Salon du livre de l'Outaouais."
03/24/2011 page 326
89.0% "I have finished the novel part, but decided not to go into the short-story."
show 2 hidden updates…