Rich Barrett's Reviews > Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi

Jan 23, 11

I'm a big fan of Taibbi's gonzo, in-your-face style of writing and reporting. He's not only not afraid to refer to Merrill Lynch CEO John Thain as "an asshole" and Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein as a "motherfucker" but he also has amazingly imaginative descriptions like his now famous passage describing Goldman as a "vampire squid sucking the face of humanity".

The subject matter here is incredibly complex and over most of our heads which plays into Taibbi's point that most American's don't have the attention span to tackle this problem. The middle of the book really slows down as Taibbi takes great pains to try to explain how the financial meltdown happened and how Goldman's reckless behavior over the years was behind it all. But he makes a strong argument overall that we have lost control over what is happening in this country and the average American is losing out for the sake of the interests of a select handful of corporate fat cats.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griftopia.