R.L. Syme's Reviews > Poisoned Kisses

Poisoned Kisses by Stephanie Draven

I review Nocturnes regularly at The Pen & Muse blog, and this is by far the best Nocturne I've ever read. Stephanie Draven handles the re-interpretation of mythology with consummate grace. So fluid and easy, it's hard to understand why I haven't read one of her books before. But this was truly a masterpiece. I saw another reviewer said, "if all romance novels were this good, the genre wouldn't have a bad name." I second that.

You don't need me to tell you what the book is about--you can read the blurb for yourself. Suffice to say, I read these books a lot. They all start to sound the same after awhile, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But this book is different. It's hard to put my finger on exactly all the things that make it different, but here's my biggest praise:

This book is not only well-written and engaging with a killer plot, but it's smart. As a woman with three degrees and a lifetime of intellectualism, it was nice to have an author treat me like an intelligent adult reader. I actually felt like I'd learned something after finishing this book. But not in a preachy-high-horsey way. More like the way you scratch your head and think, how in the **** did she just do that? Masterful.

Typically, I don't say, "hey, you should buy this book" because you just never can account for taste. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, you should probably buy this. At least plunk down the three bucks and change for the e-version on Kindle. It's worth the three hours (or however long it takes you to read it.

POISONED KISSES is going in my keeper pile for good.

~ Rebecca Lynn of http://thepenmuse.net
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poisoned Kisses.