Melissa 's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-action-adventure, teen-dystopian-future, teen-sci-fi, with-reviews
Read on February 27, 2011, read count: 1

Genetic engineering has backfired and left the population to die off at 25 for males and 20 for females. This has left the dying population desperate, and girls are captured at a young age to become part of polygamous marriages in order to keep the species alive. When Rhine is kidnapped by the Gatherers her only thoughts are of escaping and returning to her twin brother, but with so many obstacles, and a dangerous new father-in-law does she dare to try to escape from her new marriage?

I was surprised by how quickly this novel pulled me in. DeStefano does an excellent job with her pacing. Hooking you at the very beginning and propelling you swiftly through the novel. I finished it in a day, and for me that is rare. I just couldn't put it down.

Rhine is an intriguing and strong character. When their parents died, Rhine and her brother had to depend on each other in this unpredictable and dangerous world. All Rhine wants is to return to her home and her brother.

I also found Linden, Rhine's husband to be an interesting character. It is clear that he truly cares for Rhine, but I wonder how he can be so oblivious to what is really going on around him. It seems like he has blinders on and doesn't really want to see the world as it is.

Overall this was an intriguing and well written dystopian/post apocalyptic tale. DeStafano is an author to watch, because she knows how to weave an exciting, and interesting tale. I definitely want to know what happens next.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Polygamous marriages and references to sex and childbirth. Some gore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.