Dini's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Apr 07, 2008

bookshelves: nonfiction, lendable
Recommended to Dini by: Books I Want To Talk About group
Read in March, 2008

When I first heard the premise of Eat, Pray, Love — a woman's journey after a series of personal hardships to find peace and happiness across three countries — I thought it was going to be a solemn retelling of the pilgrimage-like voyage in the likes of Paulo Coelho. Of course I was wrong.

Elizabeth Gilbert tells an honest story (which starts with the quote "Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth") of her emotional and psychological breakdown after a harrowing divorce and a whirlwind romance. Embarking on a culinary expedition to Italy for the sake of pleasure (eat), a spiritual retreat at a temple in India (pray), and a search for balance with the help of an elderly medicine man on a tourist island in Indonesia (love), she shares how she progresses from depression to a balanced, full life.

At first I didn't really get how serious Gilbert's problem was — she only mentioned the word 'suicidal' in a passing, almost nonchalant way — until she described her use of medication and the moments when she seriously thought of killing herself. Her tone is often melancholic in places; in others it was rich with humor and wit. Some have called her a self-centered whiner but to me she was only expressing her anguish, trying to make sense of her world after it turned upside down, and finally allowing herself to heal.

I also find that Gilbert's open-mindedness toward many schools of spiritualism and religion leads me to tolerate hers as well. I may or may not agree with her practices and beliefs (one of them is that there is no such thing as hell because if imperfect humans can be so compassionate and forgiving, why not God almighty Himself?) but it doesn't stop me from appreciating them. In an era where religious debate can so easily lead to scathing insult and physical aggression, Gilbert's take on religion is a breath of fresh air.

But the core of the story, for me, is that Gilbert's search brought her face to face with the only one who can help her: herself. Only you can bring yourself from an awful state to a better place. Just like Gilbert's favorite Italian word: "Attraversiamo" (let's cross over).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

03/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Gimana dengan buku ini Din? Gw baca di review ini http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... *jangan buka kalo gak mo kepengaruh* dia bilang jelek. Hehehe, I want to hear from you :)

Dini Udah gw buka tuh... hehehe, kalo gw sih sejauh ini malah suka. Banyak pandangan penulisnya yg sama ama gw, trus banyak bagian yg lucu juga. Udah sampe ke bagian Bali nih...

Rahmadiyanti lumayan, rie *eh, kok gw yg jawab? :D*
tapi gw blm abis baca, hehe. keseling ama yg lebih menarik ;)

Dini Nggg... ini ngomongnya ama Erie apa ama syl? Jadi bingung. *garuk garuk*

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Huahaha Dini bingung...! Horee :D
Sini Din, gw garukin pake garukan kayu yang buat punggung :D

Dottie Dini -- this is the best review I've read of this book, I think. Thanks. I hadn't planned on reading anytime soon if at all but I believe I should do so after reading your comments.

Dini Gee, thanks Dottie! You flatter me.

Hippo dari Hongkong *miring-miring sambil manggut-manggut baca review yang lumayan panjang*

Hmm.. hmm.. ini review nya Dini yang paling "panjang" yang pernah gw baca... panjang tapi gak "sadis"... hehehe... Hmm.. dah, tambahin satu lagi suaranya ;P and goodluck girl ;) (I'm rooting for you) heuheu...

Dini Ada juga kok review gw yg lain yg sepanjang ini. Utk lebih jelasnya silakan liat bookshelf gw, hehehe. Thanks a lot for the vote!

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Mantab reviewnya :D

message 11: by Dini (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dini Makacih... ;)

Septika baca reviewnya mbak Dini..bikin aq tertarik baca bukunya. Tp blom nemu bukunya nih mbak... terbitan mana sih yg bhs Indonesia?? gramed bukan?? aq cr di jogja blom ada:((
btw..salam kenal mbak^^

message 13: by Dini (last edited Dec 02, 2008 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dini Wah aku seneng banget kalo review ini bikin Septika pengan baca bukunya. Kalo ga salah buku ini udah ada terjemahan Indonesianya, cuman lupa penerbitnya... hehe sori kurang membantu. Salam kenal juga, Septika :)

Krista Johnson Great review! I just finished this book tonight and I feel the same way you do.