Eric's Reviews > The House of Lost Souls

The House of Lost Souls by F.G. Cottam

Dec 08, 2010

it was ok
Read from December 04 to 08, 2010

an absolutely wonderful novella wrapped in a rather mediocre slog of a book.

If the tale were just about Paul Seaton and his experience with the house and perhaps the diary of the photographer, this would be a five stars must read low key tale of obsession and consequence of one man's brush with evil, but that it starts with a special forces guy hiding in the trees to watch his sister attend a funeral and ends with a string of conceits and coincidences rather than natural plotting and strength of characters, leaves this book at two stars.

i will, however, admit to enjoying the reversal of Mother Maiden Crone by the three male characters

edit: this also contains one of my most loathed memes in horror, the treatment of previous horror authors as practitioners of the dark arts or as though their writing were non-fiction etc, etc, etc. Horror must not be conversations about horror as genre or history in order to succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Lost Souls.

12/04/2010 page 75
21.0% "I'm currently reading The House of Lost Souls which can so far be summed up as Heck House as it currently reads like a tame version of Richard Matheson's Hell House."
12/06/2010 page 115
33.0% "getting better. much better actually."
12/07/2010 page 215
61.0% "the House of Lost Souls would be a AMAZING novella, but unfortunately, it has been seemingly artificially expanded to novel length. For the past hundred plus pages, the book has been a flash back within a flashback which detours for unrelated narrative within one of those flashbacks."
03/24/2016 marked as: read

Lisa I couldn't agree more! I loved the story in the middle, about Paul researching Pandora Gibson-Hoare, but the rest about the haunted Fischer house was very drab.

Jayne Lamb I felt very similar, but have to admit I didn't notice a male version of maiden/ mother/ crone... which characters are you referring to?