Greta's Reviews > Fun Inc.: Why games are the 21st Century's most serious business

Fun Inc. by Tom Chatfield

Dec 04, 10

bookshelves: general-non-fiction
Read in December, 2010

I was hoping this book would answer many questions I have regarding why people can spend their lives glued to a screen playing endless "games". But since the book was written by a self-professed gamer, he clearly didn't feel the need to explain that. There was a lot of information about various games and how they work, the origins of electronic gaming, and developments in gaming that have affected other fields. The majority of the book was spent justifying the usefulness and the potential social and scientific advancement of the industry and the people who made it to make more stuff that will eventually make our lives better. How gaming really benefits our time on this planet remains a mystery to me. I still don't get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fun Inc..

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella Your review reminds me of citizen reader's review of Tom Bissel's "Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter". She wan't convinced either. I do remember being obsessed with Tetrus and before that with "Pitfall", an Atari game.

Greta Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only sceptic out there. And yeah, I liked Tetrus too, but not thousands of hours worth.