Sade' Q. 's Reviews > Born to Use Mics: Reading Nas's Illmatic

Born to Use Mics by Michael Eric Dyson

Dec 03, 10

Read in August, 2010

Nas is my all time favorite hip hop artist and a legend in the genre of hip hop. This book, which was written based on Nas' first album Illmatic( one of my favorite hip hop albums) breaks down each track on the album in a way in which its like your seeing through the eyes of Nasir "nas"'Bin Olu Dara Jones/ his lyrics are a glimpse into his world growing up in Queens bridge projects New York. I can relate to him, his rhymes, and definitely his struggles. I suggest this book to any die hard "true"' fans of hip hop. Michael Eric Dyson, who happens to be another favorite of mine, does a good job of expaining each track while relating them to his life and most importantly to the life of others alike. But in some parts of the book more focus was being put on specific instances and going off topic instead of talking about the song in question. One part I didn't like was when an essay/chapter was focused more on a song called "'i can" which wasnt even on Illmatic but was explained and given critisim for the negatives hip hop artists have on females rather talking about the meaning of the song which is way more powerful. I think too much was spent on 2 seconds of a visual in a video when the song was much more than that. The negative treatment of females in hip hop is not great but this book was not on that and the song "I can"' wasnt even on the album, but none the less i would reccommend the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Use Mics.