Riccarla Roman's Reviews > Murder at the Vicarage

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

F_50x66
Dec 03, 10

Read in December, 2010

This was the first mystery entry on the Ultimate Reading List. I haven't read Agatha Christie in years and I can only conclude it's because I used to have a lot more time on my hands

We meet the Vicar and his much younger wife, Griselda. (Really). The village is your typical cozy English village with an autocratic colonel, a fairly inept police department, and many meddling old lady. The main meddler here turns out to be Jane Marple in her first appearance in a Christie book. The autocratic colonel is murdered in the Vicar's study. Who could have done it? The young artist who attracts all the ladies? The colonel's younger second wife who seems much taken by the artist? How about the visiting archeologist, the colonel's daughter, the vicar's nephew, the mysterious lady who just moved to the village, or the Vicar himself as suspects? Leave it to Miss Marple to ferret out the clues.

This book was truly written to a Masterpiece Theatre episode, featuring all our favorite British actors. The characters are clearly defined and the dialogue helps create the characters. The plot can be daunting. There is a lot of discussing who was where when the murder occured, who heard the shot, who was in the area, and who had a motive? It seems half the village was somewhere nearby and had a grudge against the old man. The solution is a surprise but logical.

I shall probably read another one (I have "Death in the Clouds" waiting - as seen in "The Unicorn and the Wasp" episode of "Doctor Who" with the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant.) Imagining him in the story will make it move much quicker, I'm sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Vicarage.