Heather Anne's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Dec 17, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read on December 06, 2010

The premise is simple: a vampire named Louis tells his 200-year-long life story to a reporter. It’s the execution of it that makes the book special and a modern authority on vampires.

Anne Rice uses the flashback technique, anchoring the story in the present while discussing the past and allowing the story to be told in the first-person perspective by Louis. Rice also mixes up the tempo. Calm and easy scenes are juxtaposed with scenes full of violence. The resulting tension gives the story a creepy and dangerous undertone.
Themes include immortality and loss of innocence. Louis finds immortality more of a curse than a gift. He contemplates suicide on occasion but finds his will to live too strong to act. By far, the strongest theme is the loss of innocence. The entire book is about Louis’ discovery of his new life and the world at large. It’s his vampire coming of age story. Claudia also loses her innocence in a profound way. She is turned as a child and becomes a violent predator, maturing in mind but never in body.
One of the few weaknesses involves characterization. Rice’s characterizations are soft. Louis is, at times, shy and emotionally sensitive, and at other times, he is vicious and indifferent. Lestat also seems to be at odds with himself. He is cynical and violent, yet sometimes acts in a thoughtful and educated manner. However, Claudia’s characterizations are the most lacking. She is a monster with little personality.
After reading and watching so many vampire-related books, movies, and television shows in the past, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to others in a heartbeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

Quotes Heather Anne Liked

Anne Rice
“Evil is always possible. And goodness is eternally difficult.”

Anne Rice
“Consequently, if you believe God made Satan, you must realize that all Satan's power comes from God and so that Satan is simply God's child, and that we are God's children also. There are no children of Satan, really.”

Anne Rice
“And what constitutes evil, real evil, is the taking of a single human life. Whether a man would die tomorrow or the day after or eventually... it doesn't matter. Because if God does not exist, then life... every second of it... Is all we have.”
tags: evil

Anne Rice
“The world changes, we do not, therein lies the irony that kills us.”
tags: life

Anne Rice
“And he would listen, making only a few comments, always sympathetic, so that when I left him I had the distinct impression he had solved everything for me.”
tags: words

Anne Rice
“It was as if when I looked into his eyes I was standing alone on the edge of the world...on a windswept ocean beach. There was nothing but the soft roar of the waves.”

Anne Rice
“It was as if the empty nights were made for thinking of him. And sometimes I found myself so vividly aware of him it was as if he had only just left the room and the ring of his voice were still there. And somehow, there was a disturbing comfort in that, and, despite myself, I’d envision his face.”

Anne Rice
“The only power that exists is inside ourselves.”

Anne Rice
“How pathetic it is to describe these things which can't truly be described.”

Anne Rice
“I was at a loss suddenly; but conscious all the while of how Armand listened; that he listened in the way that we dream of others listening, his face seeming to reflect on every thing said. He did not start forward to seize on my slightest pause, to assert an understanding of something before the thought was finished, or to argue with a swift, irresistible impulse -- the things which often make dialogue impossible.
And after a long interval he said, 'I want you. I want you more than anything in the world.”

Anne Rice
“Then, are you master of us all? You didn't teach her that. Was she supposed to imbibe it from my quiet subservience?”

Anne Rice
“I was a newborn vampire, weeping at the beauty of the night.”

Anne Rice
“Aren't there gradations of evil? Is evil a great perilous gulf into which one falls with the first sin, plummeting to the depth?”

Anne Rice
“I love you still, that's the torment of it. Lestat I never loved. But you! The measure of my hatred is that love. They are the same! Do you know now how much I hate you!”

Anne Rice
“I allowed myself to forget how totally I had fallen in love with Lestat's iridescent eyes, that I'd sold my soul for a many-colored and luminescent thing, thinking that a highly reflective surface conveyed the power to walk on water.”
tags: louis

Anne Rice
“A starving child is a frightful sight. A starving vampire, even worse.”

Anne Rice
“God did not live in this church; these statues gave an image to nothingness. I was the supernatural in this cathedral. I was the only Supermortal thing that stood conscious under this roof! Loneliness. Loneliness to the point of madness. The cathedral crumbled in my vision; the saints listed and fell. Rats ate the Holy Eucharist and nested on the sills. A solitary rat with an enormous tail stood tugging and gnawing at the rotted altar cloth until the candlesticks fell and rolled on the slime-covered stones. And I remained standing. Untouched.”

Anne Rice
“But during all these years I had a vague but persistent desire to return to New Orleans. I never forgot New Orleans. And when we were in tropical places and places of those flowers and trees that grow in Louisiana, I would think of it acutely and I would feel for my home the only glimmer of desire I felt for anything outside my endless pursuit of art.”