Stephanie's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: book-club, historical-fiction, books-about-books
Read from April 06 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

The Forgotten Garden was a very interesting, layered novel. I really enjoyed reading it, even if it was a bit predictable.

The Good: A sweet melancholy storyline that keeps the reader engaged. Fun, well drawn characters and a few quotable lines. An interesting mix of pov's, showcasing the motivations of several characters. An intriguing habit of jumping through time, through characters, and through methods of furthering the plot (letters, dairy entries, newspaper articles). And last but not least, some wonderful fairy tales slipped between the chapters. I wish we'd gotten to read the whole Cuckoo story.

The Bad: The big mystery that Cassandra spends the whole story figuring out? It's pretty easy to solve before you've read even halfway though the book. There are a few attempts to throw you off the trail, make you second guess the obvious, but you will know the answer to Nell's past long before any of the characters can 'puzzle' it out. And the story can be a bit corny at times.

Overall though, it was a great experience. I'd love a copy of that Eliza Makepeace book, to be able to read all the stories and see the Nathaniel Walker sketches. It's sad to think that it doesn't really exist.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.