Katie's Reviews > Wanderlove

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

1928123
Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: arc, own, alamw12, 2012-ya-contemporary-challenge, favorite, random-house
Read from March 04 to 05, 2012

Honestly, if I could give this book a higher rating, I would. This book reminded me why contemporary is my favorite genre. Kirsten Hubbard's sophomore novel is full of gorgeous settings, crazy adventures, fabulous characters, and beautiful writing. I need to check out her debut novel, Like Mandarin.

First, the setting. I have never really wanted to travel to Central America but after reading Wanderlove I'm torn between feeling like I have already been and dying to go. The descriptions are so lush and detailed. The animals, the rain forests, the ocean, everything is so easy to picture, it's like you are right there alongside Bria.

Speaking of Bria: that chick is awesome! She's lost, sad, lonely, and her trip is not exactly going as planned. However none of that slows her down. She's feisty at times but super shy at others. Both Starling and Rowan bring out different sides of her and it's amazing how it's all still the same girl. She's so well-developed and well-rounded. It's impossible not to love her. It's also impossible not to want to slap her at times and hug her at others. Then there are Starling and Rowan. For siblings, they are almost nothing alike. Starling is adventurous, outgoing, and a bit crazy. Rowan is adventurous too but his is much more tame and likes to spend time alone. He's very damaged but still totally perfect. His flaws only make him better.

Now like I said earlier, I haven't read Kirsten Hubbard's first novel, Like Mandarin, so I don't know anything about her writing other than that in Wanderlove. If this is any indication, I will adore her writing. It flows so smoothly and it's beautiful in it's simplicity. It's not overly rich and it's so easy to take in. I could read her writing for days with no breaks.

Another thing that makes Wanderlove unique and totally fabulous are the drawings. There aren't a ton of them but each one has a special meaning to the story and they are all gorgeous. They not only add to the images of the setting already in the readers head, they also add a whole other side to Bria, a deeper look in her head. It's such a unique way to get to know a character.

Another thing I adored is the romance between Bria and Rowan. It's such a simple romance yet those two manage to complicate it quite a bit. They both have issues but they also manage to help each other overcome those issues and bring out their better sides. Their romance takes time to develop and it's just so real. It's hard not to jump up and down in joy when things finally do go right for them.

Overall, Wanderlove has earned a spot on my favorites shelf and I look forward to rereading it many times in the future. Kirsten Hubbard may make a world traveler out of me yet. Now where can I find a Rowan?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.

Quotes Katie Liked

Kirsten Hubbard
“What you love the most is what you have to fight the hardest to keep.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Even when life turns out different than what you've planned, it's always better to try and fail than to wonder what could have been.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“You got to find your own places. The places you get, girl, the ones that stick in your heart. And if you’re lucky, you find people to share them with.”

03/04/2012 page 33
03/05/2012 page 174
49.0% "This book reminds me why contemporary is my favorite genre. =)" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth B I agree! I adored this book (and still working on my review as well :D )

message 2: by BookChic (new) - added it

BookChic Club I have this in my Adobe Reader and am looking forward to reading it. Heard good things about her debut.

Danica Page (One Page at a Time) I'm glad you like it. I'm about to start reading it.