Patricia Burroughs's Reviews > The Unknown Ajax

The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer

Dec 07, 10

Read in December, 2010

I really enjoyed this one, and would love to have seen Vincent get his own book (though it might have been a bit ruined if he had to follow Heyer's standard heroic trope of being wealthy before that could happen).

I listened to this on audio and I must admit that did detract a bit. The reader's "bumpkin" voice was too bumpkin-y for me to enjoy in a hero, and even his normal voice still had too much of that flavor. I think had I read it, I might have felt a more romantic response to Hugo. Even so, I did love the characters and twists and turns of the story. It will be interesting to see if, when I do eventually go back and read it for myself, my rating goes to 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unknown Ajax.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katharine Kimbriel This was a great one -- I recommend putting it on the re-read shelf!

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Dec 08, 2010 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patricia Burroughs Okay, will do. And next time I'll read it instead of listening. It was a very entertaining audio and I thought the reader did a great job with all the voices except Hugo's. Claud and Vincent were especially strong.