Laura's Reviews > The Preacher's Bride

The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund

Dec 03, 10

Every once in a while I come across new authors that make me sit up and take notice. Jody Hedlund's debut novel The Preacher's Bride, not only had me sitting up and taking notice, it had me up all night just to finish the book! Ladies and gentlemen I have found yet another favourite author!

Set in England in the 1650's the author takes us back to the age of the Puritans and the final days of Cromwell's reign. Unfortunately, as the Royalists begin to take power Puritan Preacher, John Costin, faces not only danger from those who oppose him, but on the homefront, he faces heartache at the loss of his wife. Left with four children to raise, one of them blind and the other a newborn, Elizabeth Whitbread volunteers to become his housekeeper.

Elizabeth's love for the children grows and although she is pledged to marry another, she finds herself falling in love with John Costin. Her strict Puritan upbringing keeps her from saying anything to her employer, until one day a dangerous man appears at the Costin home. He wants John to stop preaching and threatens to harm Elizabeth and the children if she doesn't do what he wants. Torn between her love of John and the children, Elizabeth must make a decision that will in the end almost cost her everything she holds dear.

Based on the life of John Bunyan, Hedlund's story will keep you enthralled from the beginning. Keep your eyes open for more from this author - you won't regret it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Preacher's Bride.