Christine Edison's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Dec 08, 10

Read from December 03 to 08, 2010

John Wayne Cleaver knows he's different. He reads about serial killers not just because he's fascinated by them, but because he recognizes the same warning signs in himself. He sets up rules to keep his own inner monster at bay. Then after a murder in town, John sees the signs of another serial killer at work, and he begins tracking the killer.

John's voice was interesting -- even though he didn't have normal emotions, he knew enough about himself to recognize that his thoughts were wrong and took steps not to give in to his temptations. The story took a few twists I did not see coming, and although it was scary and violent at times, it never went over the top with gross descriptions.

I heard about this book at a teen librarians' meeting recently, and the description of the main character as a "teenaged Dexter" intrigued me, even though I don't usually like books about serial killers. Since I started it, I've recommended it to two people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.