Flourish's Reviews > Charity Girl

Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: romance-novels
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book plays off a similar scenario to Sprig Muslin, but I found it much less engaging. Partially, that is due to the fact that the heroine - Charity - is less charming than Amanda (of Sprig Muslin). The Hester character in this book - her name is Hetty - also doesn't go through any kind of serious transformation, as Hester does. Rather, she's always been a great sport, never missish.

I did enjoy the book - I never disdain Heyer! - and some of the characters were really fantastic: Simon, the hero's brother, for instance; or Charity's father; or her grandfather and his new wife. But overall, I felt as though the main characters didn't grow in the same way that they did in Sprig Muslin, and Charity wasn't nearly so entertaining. Heyer often reworks themes in her novels, so I suppose it's not surprising that people might prefer one over another; as it is, I think this might be my least favorite Heyer so far, if only because Sprig Muslin does such a better job with similar material.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charity Girl.