Shirley's Reviews > Duma Key

F_50x66
Feb 03, 08

Recommended to Shirley by: Today Show, NYT Review
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I normally do not read horror or Stephen King, but I am a sucker for good reviews. I saw King interviewed on the Today Show and felt compelled to read this book.

This book left me feeling 'icky' and I can't say why. I enjoyed the story and the manner in which it unfolded. King is very good at using short sentences and providing a concise background to quickly entrap me in the story. After I started I was telling my husband about the book and he said, "All that in 50 pages?"

Anyway. Duma Key is about a man recovering from a construction accident where his skull and hip were crushed and his right arm was severed. When he gets to Duma Key he rediscovers his hobby of art and painting. His pictures are described as amazing and eerie, but where does his talent come from? Is someone directing his talents or is it innate? His health and recovery also progress while living on Duma Key.

Growing up I always felt (and still do) that my Mom has an angel looking over her. I am not a religious nor spiritual person but I always have the feeling that someone is watching over her, protecting her. Maybe that is why the book left me with an 'icky' feeling. As my husband reminded me when I was telling him about phantom injuries, "Dear, it is a fictional book."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duma Key.