Claire's Reviews > The Night Bookmobile

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: graphics, adult-general
Read in December, 2010

Alexandra (Lexi) discovers a bookmobile one night after a fight with her boyfriend. She then finds that the bookmobile has housed every book she has ever read, including pamphlets, her diary, and even cereal boxes. At dawn, the bookmobile drives away and Lexi continues looking for it night after night for the rest of her life, only finding it occasionally in times of crisis or change. She often asks to become a librarian there and is refused. Eventually she discovers the twist that allows her to become the librarian for another young reader.

This is Niffenegger's first graphic novel and it shows her inexperience. Originally published as a short story, the graphics do not enhance the story here and are often distracting in their amateurish design. I enjoyed most of the story, found the twist a bit expected and anti-climactic, and was put off by the general layout and style of the illustrations. I can appreciate a budding artist, but didn't see a strong enough connection between the art and the story. I actually appreciated the author's note on her inspiration more than I enjoyed the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Bookmobile.